Since our last entry in August the steering committee has been developing objectives that flesh out the six (6) goals previously mentioned. Now, 22 subcommittee chairs and their teams will generate the underlying strategies. “Strategies” in the sense educators use the word for the “means, methods, activities and assessments” required to achieve the objectives.
We will keep you up-to-date on that work as it progresses. Our target is to have a first-pass strategic plan DRAFT ready for review by the entire campus and interested parties by the end of the Fall 2016 term.
Meanwhile, please feel free to share your thoughts on the work so far by posting comments to this blog.
NOTE: This is a work-in-progress and subject to substantial change based on recommendations of the working committees and feedback from others.
Goal 1: Promote Growth in Academic and Research Excellence
- Objective 1: Support, improve, and recognize excellence in teaching, artistic endeavor, and research
- Objective 2: Develop new & update existing programs to satisfy growing industry demands and meet student needs
Goal 2: Target Recruiting, Maximize Retention & Increase Graduation Rates
- Objective 1: Increase new student enrollment by 5% in the next 5 years.
- Objective 2: Increase student retention and persistence by 5% in the next 5 years.
- Objective 3: Increase overall student graduation rates by 5% in the next 5 years.
Goal 3: Recruit, Retain & Develop Faculty, Staff and Student Employees
- Objective 1: Provide and cultivate adequate financial & administrative resources to support the appropriate recruitment and retention of faculty and staff.
- Objective 2: Create an environment that promotes development, training and job satisfaction for faculty, staff and student employees.
- Objective 3: Promote and articulate job & organizational expectations and local environmental characteristics to prospective employees.
Goal 4: Strengthen a Sustainable & Diversified Financial Base
- Objective 1: Maximize, maintain and grow available operating resources
- Objective 2: Maintain an appropriate infrastructure of personnel and facilities that can be sustained by available revenue.
- Objective 3: Develop and maintain an infrastructure that enables the university to cultivate, expand and sustain philanthropic support.
- Objective 4: Improve institutional processes to strengthen the pre- and post- grant and sponsored programs support.
Goal 5: Build and Enrich Stakeholder Relationships
- Objective 1: Broaden and deepen constituent engagement developing more meaningful relationships with alumni, friends and students
- Objective 2: Enrich the university communities by sharing resources, expertise and experiences.
- Objective 3: Create and develop relationships with potential employers to afford academic experiences relevant to students’ professional success and [employer value]
Goal 6: Unify and Enhance Image and Visibility of Sul Ross
- Objective 1: Increase awareness of and advocacy for the university by showcasing Sul Ross’s teaching, learning, research, athletics and artistic excellence.
- Objective 2: Maintain a visually unified, aesthetically pleasing campus that showcases our status of excellence
- Objective 3: Advance and provide support for sustainability initiatives throughout the university
- Objective 4: Develop coordinated and consistent messaging that enhance Sul Ross’s image
- Objective 5: Elevate the Sul Ross traditions, community and Lobo pride
 Affordability will be either be a strategy under this objective or or a stand-alone objective tied to this goal pending recommendation of subcommittee
Here is a link to a PDF file suitable for circulating via email Proposed Strategic Goals and Objectives (as of 26Sep16)