President’s Perspective May 2019

As we enter the final week of the academic year many thoughts enter my mind. This will be an exciting week as we celebrate the outstanding achievements of the class of students that will be completing their work and their time at Sul Ross. We will have our traditional Ring Ceremony, which thanks to the good work of our Alumni Relations Office and our Alumni Association, has grown significantly in the last five years. We have more and more graduates that choose to wear their Lobo ring with pride. We will also have our Scholars Luncheon, which is an event that we started four years ago. We will honor our most academically successful students along with their families and a representative group of scholarship donors. Finally, we will celebrate Commencement in two ceremonies: on Friday evening in Alpine and on Saturday evening in Del Rio.

As I address our graduates, I often share remarks of the legendary President of Sul Ross in the 1920s, 30s, and 40s, Dr. Horace W. Morelock, who wrote a parting message to the 1927 graduates. Over 90 years ago he shared these timeless thoughts with our graduates: “I trust that many of your experiences at Sul Ross will enrich your future life and provide for delightful reflections. I cherish also the hope that you will treasure your college days and pattern your life after those high ideals which you helped to fashion. Three cardinal virtues distinguish the graduates of every college – capacity for friendships, the ability to distinguish the true from the false, and willingness to serve.”

As I ponder the transition of another successful academic year at Sul Ross I am grateful for our outstanding faculty, our dedicated staff and our amazing students. My thoughts wander to many wonderful memories of students well taught, well served, and well counseled; of debates well-argued in and out of the classroom; of battles well fought on the fields, the courts, and the arenas; of theses well written and lives positively impacted by all we do at this beloved institution.

As I complete my fifth year as President, I continue to feel blessed and honored to serve each of you as President.

My very best to you all!
Bill Kibler