RESPONSIBILITIES: The committee is charged with developing recommendations related to diversity and inclusion issues, including developing appropriate institutional responses to specific diversity and inclusion issues and:
1. Develop and implement introductory and ongoing cultural competency training for all students, faculty, and staff
2. Bridge the University with the Alpine, greater Big Bend, and Trans-Pecos communities to promote community-engaged scholarship by fostering education, outreach, and awareness
3. Assess, evaluate, and advocate for cultural inclusivity and diversity initiatives on campus, including the provision of a regular open forum for students, faculty, and staff
4. Review institutional communications, policies, and procedures actively promoting diversity and inclusion using best practices
5. Ensure a safe, welcoming community climate that values a culture of inclusivity including, but not limited to, ability, age, national origin, religious beliefs, ethnicity, race, gender, social economic status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression
Committee shall consist of a no more than nine (9) members and up to four ex officio members, for a maximum of thirteen (13) members on the committee. Membership shall include three (3) representatives from the faculty, with one representative from each college; two (2) representatives from the staff; one (1) athletic program representative; one (1) student representative; one (1) community representative; and one (1) member to be appointed by the University President.
The ex officio members should represent the following areas: Assistant Director of Residential Living, Director of Counseling and Accessibility Services, Title IX Coordinator, and the Dean of Student Life.
TERM: Two-year tenure for faculty and two-year staff appointments, with up to two-year appointments for the student representative(s), and a one-year appointment for the community representative. Initial memberships will be staggered two-year or three-year terms.
• Nominated by voting members of the committee.
Jamie Boyd, Assistant Professor, ANRS 2-year term
Liza Ware, Lecturer, EPS 3-year term
Savannah L. Williamson, Assistant Professor of History, A&S 3-year term, Chair
Suyu Dong, Systems and Discovery Services Librarian 3-year term
Dominique Vargas, Director, McNair Scholars Program 2-year term
Valeria Chavira, Student Representative 1-year term
Vince Apodaca, Alternate Student Representative 1-year term