Better communication and easier access to the technology services offered by Sul Ross are two of the goals for everything we do here in OIT. The institution’s information resources are scattered across a number of platforms and there is no easy way to get to all of them without going to each application or service individually and logging into those services.
A portal represents a change in the institutional philosophy with regard to the delivery of services, and is a major shift to a customer-centric design of campus-wide IT facilities. Therefore, beginning Tuesday, August 16, 2016, SRSU is offering a portal environment, mySRSU (https://my.sulross.edu), that brings the institution’s disparate resources together into one place.
There are many goals associated with a portal implementation. The benefits the mySRSU portal provides to Sul Ross are as follows:
- Single Sign On (SSO). One benefit of a portal is the ability to login once, have access to multiple services, and not have to log into each service individually. SSO allows the user of the portal to focus more on the task at hand and spend less time thinking of where a particular service exists and how to get to it.
- Aggregation of Services. Portals bring together information from various applications into a single framework. This allows the user to focus more on the task at hand and spend less time thinking of where a particular service exists and how to get to it.
- Web Interface. Access to courseware, financial aid information, class schedules, grades, communities of interest within the university, such as sports, clubs and community services, as well as other items essential to the life cycle of the student through any standard web browser increases the opportunity for communication to and between students and the institution.
- Mobile Ready. The design of the portal allows the content to be accessed and viewed on mobile devices such as smart phones and tablets. This allows easier access for the mobile generation reflected in our student body.
- Business Behind the Wall. Since most or all of the applications and data viewed through the portal framework represents the business of each individual and the institution, these process and information no longer need to be housed on our public website. The process of moving these items to the portal allows that public website to be cleaner, leaner and helps better tell the story of the university.
You may access the portal at https://my.sulross.edu or by clicking on the mySRSU link at the top of the home page.